WWF-INDONESIA AND REKOSISTEM COLLABORATE TO INAUGURATE WASTE STATION® AT RDTX PLACE
Jakarta, July 5, 2023 - WWF-Indonesia in collaboration with Rekosistem inaugurated a Waste Station® at RDTX Place, South Jakarta. The purpose of this Waste Station is to reduce plastic waste in Jakarta by 30%. According to data from the Ministry of Environment and Forestry's SIPSN, the total waste generated in Indonesia in 2022 have reached 21 million tons (https://sipsn.menlhk.go.id/sipsn/). It is estimated that between 4.8-12.7 Mt of plastic accumulates in the ocean each year (Jambeck et al., 2015), 80% of which is believed to come from land-based sources while the remaining 20% from marine-based sources, such as fisheries and the shipping industry (Ocean Conservancy, 2017).
WWF-Indonesia through the Plastic Smart Cities (PSC) program is committed to supporting collaborative waste management efforts in Jakarta Province, especially those that reach office and household areas. Plastic Smart Cities is an initiative launched by WWF-Indonesia with a mission to encourage cities and centers of coastal activities to stop the leakage of plastic waste into nature by 2030 by working with stakeholders around the world.
Irfan Bakhtiar, Director of Climate & Market Transformation, WWF Indonesia Foundation emphasized, "The collaboration between WWF-Indonesia and Rekosistem invites people to play an active role in waste management. Concern for the environment can become a new lifestyle, especially for urban communities by depositing inorganic waste including plastic waste to the Waste Station at RDTX Place and starting sorting waste from home."
Ernest Layman, Chief Executive Officer and Co-founder of Rekosistem also said, "Starting daily habits such as managing waste consistently can have a significant impact in the future, and is in line with Rekosistem's mission in implementing sustainability principles. This Waste Station® is not only to collect waste that is processed but has the main goal of creating community habits and encouraging people to sort and deposit inorganic waste to increase recycling rates to create a waste pollution-free Indonesia". The selection of RDTX Place as the Waste Station® location is considered very strategic because it is located at the midpoint of Jakarta and is easily accessible to the public by various modes of transportation public and private transportation.
About WWF Indonesia Foundation
WWF Indonesia Foundation is an Indonesian-incorporated civil society organization engaged in nature conservation and sustainable development, with the support of more than 100,000 supporters. WWF Indonesia Foundation's mission is to halt environmental degradation and build a future where people live in harmony with nature, through the conservation of the world's biodiversity, the sustainable use of renewable natural resources, and support for the reduction of pollution and overconsumption. For the latest news, visit www.wwf.id and follow us on Twitter @WWF_id | Instagram @wwf_id | Facebook WWF-Indonesia | Youtube WWF-Indonesia
About Plastic Smart Cities
Plastic Smart Cities is a WWF initiative that works with cities around the world to prevent plastic waste from entering nature. Since 2018, the initiative has supported cities and coastal centers that take bold action to stop plastic pollution. WWF is working with 25 pilot cities to achieve a 30% reduction in plastic leakage by 2025, through better waste management and advancing the circular economy. Together, we aim to reach 1,000 Plastic Smart Cities around the world to join the movement by 2030. For more information, visit www.plasticsmartcities.id.
For more information, please contact:
Communication Officer - WWF Indonesia Foundation
[email protected] | +62 852-1816-1683